Follow the Money to Medical Devices & Diagnostics
Spotlight on Avita Medical Ltd.
Follow the Money to Medical Device & Diagnostic Opportunities highlights a newly funded medical device or diagnostic company. This includes important insights into the featured company’s product pipeline, manufacturing and business relationships, and likely sourcing opportunities.
Avita Medical is a public company based in the United Kingdom that develops regenerative and tissue-engineered products to treat a broad range of wounds, scars and skin defects. It has raised $9 million in a completion of a secondary public offering as reported in the PharmSource Lead Sheet on July 14, 2016.
- Avita Medical was incorporated in Australia in 1993.
- Corporate Headquarters: Wimbledon, London
- Other locations: Northridge, CA, US; South Perth, Australia
- As of June 30, 2015, they had 21 employees.
- Stock Exchange: Australian Securities Exchange (ASX)
- Stock Symbol: AVH
- Avita Medical plans to use the proceeds to support US commercialization of its pipeline, such as the ReCell. This point-of-care kit uses autologous cell harvesting technology for the treatment of burns and skin injuries:
Development Phase: Pivotal studies
Medical Specialty: Cell & Tissue Processing; Dermatology/Wound Care
Purpose: Device – Therapeutic/Interventional
Type: Assay/Test/Kit; Dressing/Material/Liner/Mesh
US – PMA planned
EU – CE Mark approval
Australia – TGA approval
China – CFDA clearance/approval
US – Other (FDA Expedited Access Pathway status)
US – IDE approval
Classification: EU Class III
- June 2016: $7.96 million in a government grant from the US BARDA
- October 2015: $7.3 million in a completed secondary public offering
- September 2015: $16.9 million in a government grant from the US BARDA
Medical Device & Diagnostics Pipeline1
|Product Candidate||Indication||Medical Specialty||Purpose||Type|
|ReCell||Burn/Skin injuries|| Cell & Tissue Processing;
|ReGenerCell||Diabetic foot ulcers||Cell & Tissue Processing;
|ReNovaCell||Skin pigmentation||Cell & Tissue Processing;
Regulatory Approvals and Clearances
|Product Candidate||Region||Approval/Clearance||Year of Approval or Clearance|
|ReCell||USA||FDA Expedited Access Pathway||2015|
|(In $ thousands)||2015||2014|
|General & Administrative Expenditures|
|Total Operating Expenses|
1Source: PharmSource Lead Sheet
|Avita Medical Ltd.||Key Officers|
|85 Ridgeway, 1st Floor||Adam Kelliher, President & CEO|
|Wimbledon, London, SW19 4ST, UK||Tim Rooney, CFO & COO|
|Phone: + 44 2089 479 804||William Marshall, VP, Operations & Quality|
|Web: www.avitamedical.com||Andrew Quick, VP, Research & Technology|
Follow the Money to Medical Devices & Diagnostics – Spotlight on Mainstay Medical International plc.
Follow the Money to Medical Device & Diagnostic Opportunities – Spotlight on EndoStim, Inc.
Follow the Money to Medical Device & Diagnostic Opportunities – Spotlight on Organogenesis, Inc.