Follow the Money to Bio/Pharmaceutical Opportunities
Spotlight on OncoMed Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Follow the Money to Bio/Pharmaceutical Opportunities highlights a newly funded bio/pharmaceutical company. This includes important insights into the featured company’s product pipeline, manufacturing and business relationships, and likely sourcing opportunities.
OncoMed Pharmaceuticals is a U.S. public bio/pharmaceutical company that discovers and develops mAbs and small molecules for the treatment of cancer. It has raised $59.2 million in a secondary public offering, as reported in the PharmSource Lead Sheet on August 25, 2016.
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals was incorporated in Delaware in 2004
- Corporate Headquarters: Redwood City, CA – approximately 45,690 square feet of office and laboratory space
- As of March 10, 2016, they had 122 employees.
- Stock Exchange: NASDAQ
- Stock Symbol: OMED
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals plans to use the proceeds to support R&D efforts of its pipeline, possibly including:
- OMP-21M18 (Demcizumab) – To complete a Phase IIa study:
- For treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer
- Dosage Form: Parenteral
- Nature of API: Biologic – Monoclonal antibody
- Therapeutic Area: Oncology – Immunotherapy; Oncology – Chemotherapy
- OMP-305B83 – To complete Phase Ia study:
- For treatment of cancer
- Dosage Form: Parenteral
- Nature of API: Biologic – Antibody
- Therapeutic Area: Oncology – Immunotherapy
- The company contracts with contract research organizations (CROs) to conduct clinical trials.
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals does not own or operate manufacturing facilities and relies on third party contract manufacturers for all required raw materials, API and finished product for preclinical studies and clinical trials.
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals has no sales, marketing or distribution capabilities or experience.
- In December 2013, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals and Celgene entered into a collaboration agreement to jointly develop and commercialize up to six anticancer stem cell product candidates from OncoMed’s biologics pipeline, including demcizumab. OncoMed received an upfront payment of $177.2 million and could receive up to $3.3 billion in option exercise payments and milestones.
- In June 2010, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals and Bayer Schering Pharma entered into a global alliance to discover, develop and commercialize anticancer stem cell therapeutics, antibodies, protein therapeutics and small molecules that target the Wnt signaling pathway. OncoMed received an upfront cash payment of $40 million and $50 million in milestone payments to date specific to vantictumab and ipafricept.
- In December 2007, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline entered into an alliance to develop antibody therapeutics to treat cancer. OncoMed received a total of $35 million, including an upfront payment of $17.5 million and $17.5 million in an equity investment. OncoMed was also eligible to earn milestone payments up to $1.4 billion from GSK based on the achievement of specified discovery, development, regulatory and commercial milestones.1
Drug Product Pipeline
|Product Candidate||Indication||Dosage Form||Status||Next Anticipated Step|
|Unknown||Preclinical||IND application in 2016/2017|
|Parenteral||Preclinical||IND application in 2016/2017|
|BSolid Tumors||Parenteral||Phase Ia||TBA|
|Ovarian/Hepatocellular/Pancreatic Cancer||Parenteral||Phase Ib||TBA|
|(In $ thousands)||2015||2014|
|General & Administrative Expenditures|
|Total Operating Expenses|
1OncoMed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 3/10/16 10-K, SEC.gov
|OncoMed Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||Key Officers|
|800 Chesapeake Drive||Paul J. Hastings, President & CEO|
|Redwood City, CA, 94063 USA||Sylvia Wu, Manager, QC|
|Phone: +1-650-995-8200||John Lewicki, PhD, EVP & CSO|
|Fax: +1-650-995-8600||Jakob Dupont, MD, CMO & SVP|
|Web: www.oncomed.com||Jill Henrich, VP, Regulatory Affairs|
Follow the Money to Pharmaceutical Opportunities – Spotlight on Galena Biopharma, Inc.
Follow the Money to Pharmaceutical Opportunities – Spotlight on Medgenics, Inc.
Follow the Money to Pharmaceutical Opportunities – Spotlight on Ignyta, Inc.