Follow the Money to Medical Device & Diagnostic Opportunities
Spotlight on Organogenesis, Inc.
Follow the Money to Medical Device & Diagnostic Opportunities highlights a newly funded medical device or diagnostic company. This includes important insights into the featured company’s product pipeline, manufacturing and business relationships, and likely sourcing opportunities.
Organogenesis is a private US company that focuses on regenerative medicine, specializing in bio-active wound healing, oral regeneration and bio-surgery. It raised $30 million in a completion of a venture capital investment, as reported in the PharmSource Lead Sheet on April 21, 2016.
- Organogenesis was founded in 1985 as a spin-off of technology developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Corporate Headquarters: Canton, MA
- International Headquarters: Reinach, Switzerland
- The company has over 600 employees in the US
- Organogenesis plans to use the proceeds for new product development and to support the expansion of commercial operations and its sales force.
- Organogenesis owns and operates manufacturing facilities in Canton, MA and La Jolla, CA.
- In August 2014, Organogenesis and the Department of Veteran Affairs entered into a 5-year supply agreement for Apligraf for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers and venous leg ulcers. The contract included an option to extend the duration of the supply agreement for an additional five years. Financial terms were undisclosed.
- In January 2014, Organogenesis acquired all assets to Shire’s living skin substitute Dermagraft for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers. Organogenesis paid Shire $683 million, including up to $300 million in milestone payments until 2018.
- December 2010: $457,899 in a completed government grant
Medical Device & Diagnostics Pipeline
|Product Candidate||Indication||Medical Specialty||Purpose||Type|
|Apligraf||Diabetic foot ulcers/
Venous leg ulcers
Cell & Tissue Processing
|Dermagraft||Diabetic foot ulcers||Dermatology/Wound Care
|PuraPly||Acute and chronic wound care||Dermatology/Wound Care||Device-Therapeutic/
Regulatory Approvals and Clearances1
|Product Candidate||Region||Approval/Clearance||Year of Approval or Clearance|
|Dermagraft||Canada||Health Canada approval||2012|
|PuraPly||United States||United States||2001|
|Dermagraft||United States||PMA approval||2001|
|Apligraf||United States||PMA approval||2000|
1Source: PharmSource Lead Sheet
|Organogenesis, Inc.||Key Officers|
|85 Dan Road||Gary S. Gillheeney, President & CEO|
|Canton, MA 02021-2820 USA||Phillip Nolan, VP, Manufacturing Operations|
|Phone: +1-781-575-0775||Vincent Ronfard, PhD, VP, R&D|
|Fax: +1-781-575-1570||Zorina Pitkin, PhD, VP, Quality Systems|
|Web: www.organogenesis.com||Patrick Bilbo, VP, Regulatory|